DIY Licki PouchesFeb 16, 2021
I focus on high value rewards because these are tools in your kit to work on more challenging, more important skills with your dog. People have asked me “Why won’t my dog come when called at the dog park?” If you’re carrying basic kibble — that might not be enough of an incentive to leave off interesting smells or play buddies over in the corner.
I recently picked up a few Bark Pouches which are a great way to reward your dogs but keep your hands from smelling like hotdogs, chicken, or cheese! (Unless you’re into that sort of thing). What’s great is you can also make your own! Why might you make your own?
Waste reduction – customize to your dog’s high value treats – special dietary needs for your pup – add supplemental nutrition – lots of reasons!
DIY DOG TREAT POUCH
Materials You Need
- Reusable Food Pouches – Like These or These.
- A food processor or high power blender
- Any combination of the following:
- Canned or pouched Tuna
- Canned or pouched Salmon
- All beef hotdogs
- Cream Cheese – Plain
- Greek Yogurt – Plain
- Kefir (Goat) Yogurt – Plain
- Cheddar Cheese – use real cheese, not “cheese product.”
- Other meats or treat that your dog goes wild for
Steps to make your own DIY Dog Treat Pouch
- Pick a combo of a main protein and binder. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
-Peanutbutter, bananas and greek yogurt
-Salmon (w/water) and Cream Cheese
-Hotdogs and Cream Cheese
-Tuna (w/water) and Greek Yogurt or Kefir Yogurt
-Cheddar cheese, hotdogs (w/juices) and Cream Cheese
- Add your chosen ingredients into the food processor or blender and pulse till well chopped up and mixed.
- Play with the proportions until you get a thick but squeezable consistency (think baby food).
- Using a spatula or spoon, scoop your mixture into your reusable food pouches.
- These will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, longer in the freezer.
- Use when training high complexity skills and see if your dog responds better!
Join our email list to be the first to know when a new blog has been published!
We promise not to share your info or send spam emails!