Finding a Qualified Reward-Based TrainerMay 08, 2023
Finding a qualified reward-based trainer for your dog can be a daunting task, but it's essential to ensure that your furry companion receives the best training possible. Reward-based training is a positive and humane approach that focuses on reinforcing good behavior and building a strong relationship between you and your dog. Here are some tips to help you find a qualified reward-based trainer:
- Look for certifications: One of the best indicators of a qualified trainer is a certification from a reputable organization. Look for trainers who hold certifications from organizations such as the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT), the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) or the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT).
- Check for experience: Experience is key when it comes to finding a qualified trainer. Look for trainers who have been in the field for a significant amount of time, and who have experience working with a wide variety of breeds and behavior problems.
- Find out about training methods: Make sure to ask about the trainer's training methods. A qualified reward-based trainer will use positive reinforcement techniques, rather than punishment-based methods. They should be able to provide you with a clear explanation of their training methods and be willing to answer any questions you may have.
- Check references: Ask for references and talk to other dog owners who have used the trainer's services. This will give you an idea of their experience and the results they have achieved with other dogs.
- Observe a training session: if possible, observe a training session with the trainer. This will give you an idea of the trainer's teaching style and how they interact with the dogs and their owners.
The dog training industry is unregulated which can make it easy for unqualified and harmful people to charge money and pass themselves off as a professionals. If the trainer doesn't seem like a good fit don't be afraid to keep looking until you find a qualified professional who is a good fit.
Join our email list to be the first to know when a new blog has been published!
We promise not to share your info or send spam emails!